Sunday, April 23, 2017

1963 Apostolic Faith Church coffee time


This photo was in my Dad's collection.
I'm not sure if it was a professional photo or not.
I added names to the people I recognized, including my Dad way in the back.
I don't know who the rest of them are.
This was in the basement of the Apostolic Faith church at 3014 Kingsway.
In 1963 it was only 13 years old, so it was still bare in the basement.
It even had bare bulbs hanging from the ceiling.
The area to the left was used for Sunday School classrooms.
The room past the far wall was the prayer chapel.

The ladies of the church provided coffee and light refreshments every Sunday evening after the service, for visiting seamen. My Dad was part of the seamen's work at the Vancouver docks each Sunday afternoon. Paul Plesko and Dan Dragonoff also went along, and invited the seamen to church, picking them up with the church van. There are a few sitting on the left beside Katie and Harold Stewart.

By Loretta Houben



No comments: