Sunday, January 6, 2008

Wrestling with God


Our Pastor's first sermon in 2008 was just what I needed. He ended with this sentence: "If you're limping in 2008, it's OK." He has such profound and uplifting statements from God's word. That's why I return each Sunday. The church is so huge and I don't know a living soul except for a handful of people. There are 3,600 people who attend, during 4 different services. It's hard to believe.

His subject was on the account of Jacob wrestling with God, in Genesis 32: 22-32. The points outlined were:

1. The struggle is with God, not man.
2. Struggling with God can be grace.
3. Struggling with God can lead to insight.
4. The result is our destiny and our blessing.

Worry is a lack of trust in God to oversee all aspects of my life. Isaiah 45:7 "I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things."
Proverbs 16:33 "The lot is cast into the lap but its every decision is from the Lord."

The Pastor told us something that happened last week as he was driving his son across the border, to fly to a dangerous place for a missionary trip. He didn't want to let his son go to such a dangerous place, and wasn't trusting God to take care of his son, and was anxious and worrying about it. The border guard asked why they were going into the US and they told him. He asked them if they spoke Spanish and they replied no. The guard began to speak in Spanish for a few minutes, then asked them if they knew what he'd said. Of course they didn't. He'd quoted Philippians 4: 6 & 7 "Do not be anxious about anything..." Wow.

Profound thought:
The thing you want God to take away is the thing you need in your life.

7 comments:

sparrow's song said...

you shared,
"Profound thought:
The thing you want God to take away is the thing you need in your life."

I had to read and think twice on this one. But it's true. We often pray for God to remove what's uncomfortable in our lives when it could very well be the tool that changes our circumstances or furthers our spiritual growth which will ultimately cultivate or deliver the happiness and peace we seek.

Good food for thought.

That shabby Pink Girl said...

Hi Loretta
Thank you for stopping by my Blog~~the Doll on the far left is one I made~she is a Hilda Mold, and as you can see I still don't have the proper dress on her~she is all porcelain and heavy, she has German glass eyes, she will be really pretty when I GET HER DRESSED :-)) The one with the bare feet is an Elke Hutchins doll and looks just like my grandaughter, thats why I bought her. Have a great day!

marian elizabeth

Regina said...

How beautiful!
Thank you for sharing.

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Amen Loretta!
Great post...
We serve an amazing God...
Faithful and true to His word.
Thanks for your sweet visit...
Loved having you,
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Unknown said...

Loretta, What a blessing that I should come to your blog on this day and read the very words I need to know. I keep forgetting to leave my worries with God. I keep taking them back which makes my body unwell. Thank you for sharing.
TAGS! Tags are the modern day version of Victorian calling cards. They are an expression of friendship sent when a visit in person is not possible. In years to come I like to think looking at the beautiful tags will bring to mind the friend who made it. Most ladies who exchange tags enjoy the creative process and keep them in their craft rooms.
Loretta I just can't imagine someone especially visiting my blog each day. This is very meaningful to me and something I do not take lightly. Again, the blessings are great in this special place. Elizabeth

Richard Cottrell said...

I am not a organized church person, I believe one can worship the Lord anywhere and every where. I am your newest follower. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me such a nice comment. Richard from my Old Historic House.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful post, I going to read it again, thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog.