Thursday, September 1, 2016

MARTHA CHEVERIE: a parishioner from 3014 Kingsway in the 1980s.


You may recognize this corner!
This photo was taken by the city of Vancouver and is from somewhere online.
How this brings back memories.
I've decided to turn this blog, Sunday Thoughts, into a place where all my church memories will be archived. I came across a set of photo books of church members in my archives, and I've scanned the photos in. They aren't the best quality but they are all I have.


Here is the second Pastor of the Apostolic Faith Church at 3014 Kingsway, Vancouver BC.
He served from 1977 until 1985, after John Schriner retired due to ill health.
Pastor Dave was my favourite pastor.
I enjoyed his sermons, and I loved how he and his wife, Elsie, kept things in ship shape order.


My Dad, Jack Williams, was the main usher.
He took his duties very seriously and was always on time and at his post.
He wore a suit and tie; no shorts and T-shirt for him in God's holy house.
He greeted everyone with a firm handshake and a smile.
He often locked up late at night.


Here is a photo taken of the little church 15 years ago in 2001.
This was our last year here. The people in charge had decided to sell and relocate to Langley BC.
The church was torn down in 2002, and a 4 story business was built on the land.


Martha Chevrie was an older woman who sat at the back.
She lived at 5548 College Street, just a few blocks away.
I remember her testifying that she would come to church when she was young in order to see the ladies hats and to admire them! She got conviction shortly after that, and realized her need of salvation, and prayed through and became a Christian. She began attending the Apostolic Faith as she lived nearby. 
I keep a lot of things, and I actually have a copy of Martha's memorial service, which took place in 1983. She was born April 18, 1904 in Whitemouth Manitoba, and died October 17, 1983 in Burnaby General Hospital. After much searching I found her death record online; her surname is spelled incorrectly above. It should be CHEVERIE.
I found her online on the 1906, 1911, and 1916 Canadian censuses! 

Here she is age 2! Her father's name was Ferdinand Kriger, and her mother's name was Pauline Breitkreitz.

Here is Martha age 7 with various siblings.

And here she is age 12.
I find it amazing what you can find online.
I wonder why her family moved out here to Vancouver?
I did find a family tree online for Martha, and she was married twice.
Her first husband, Harry Ernest Cheverie was born May 24, 1899 in PEI, parents names unknown.
He died Oct 18, 1960, age 61.
Martha remarried again October 6, 1962 to Edmund Klause.
She has three sons; Morvel, Elwood and Larry, according to the memorial brochure I have for her, and numerous grandchildren.
Martha was a nice quiet woman. She always had a lovely smile.
I also remember she loved to listen to Peter Poppoff on TV; a rather dubious preacher.
He seemed to amuse her.
I will try to write about more of the people who once attended that little church at the corner of Kingsway and Rupert all those many years ago.
By Loretta Williams Houben


Please click on the copy of Martha's memorial service to see the details close up.



No comments: