Monday, September 5, 2016

ISABEL GORDON...an old friend of our family.


I have many fond memories of dear Isabel Gordon!
She was a friend of my Grandma, Alma May Williams, for many years. I'm not sure when or where they met, but probably in the 1950's at the Apostolic Faith Church.
Isabel was born on June 12, 1915 in Moosejaw, Saskatchewan.
I discovered this recently when I typed her name into Ancestry, and the 1916 Canadian census showed her family living there and also in 1921, at 620 Athabasca W. 
Her father's name was James Angus Gordon, born May 26, 1879 in Scotland. In 1916 he was a carpenter, and in 1921 he was a mill wright. 
Isabel's mother's name was Annie Elizabeth Webber, born Dec 18, 1884 in England. Annie arrived in 1912 in Canada, and James arrived in 1906.
A brother, Owen Francis, age 3 is listed on the 1921 census.
On both the censuses their religion is Presbyterian. 


This is a copy of the 1916 Canadian census showing the Gordon family. Isabel's name is spelled with two l's. The census was taken on June 3 - 5, a week before her first birthday.


Here is a Google map picture of Athabasca street, showing where Isabel would have lived for a while. The house for #620 is missing, but I think this would be the same era and style of homes in the neighbourhood.


Here is a closeup of the 1916 census.



A closeup for the 1921 census.
Isabel was shown as "Isabella", and is age 6.
Her brother Owen is age 3.



The Gordon family is still living at 620 Athabasca W in Moosejaw, Saskatchewan.


Here is one of those mysterious border crossing documents, showing Isabel traveling to Portland OR to visit Mrs. Lillian Lowe on Alder Street, dated May 2, 1949, by stage. She is living at home with her mother, Annie E Gordon, at 767 E 15th Ave in Vancouver BC, and her occupation is a stenographer. She has a medium complexion, black hair, brown eyes with a pockmark in the center of her forehead. She is 5' 6". She has $17.00 with her, and is visiting for 4 weeks.
Wow, one can learn a lot of information from these documents!
I'm not sure if I have any photos of Isabel, but if I find any I'll add them later. I do own a book that has her mother's name written on the fly leaf. I'll take a picture of it and add it later.


I believe the blue house is 767 E 15th Ave, from Google maps.
(I can't read the address.) This is where Isabel lived with her mother Annie in 1949.
Isabel would often visit my Grandma on Monmouth Avenue and spend pleasant afternoons together with her. Each summer she would fly to England to stay with friends, after carefully saving her pension all year long to pay for the flight. She ate at McDonald's every day! It was well known she couldn't cook. She was a bookworm and enjoyed reading. Once she stored a few suitcases at my Grandma's home while she traveled for a long time. 
Isabel was always happy and chipper. She had a soft spoken voice and was paper thin with thick grey hair often flying away out of its pins, up on a roll at the back of her head. She never wore glasses and was quite spry. She had a boisterous laugh and often cracked amusing little jokes. Isabel gave an earnest testimony, very thankful the Lord had saved her and was her best Friend, often giving her little treats in life through the blessing of others kindness to her, as she never owned or drove a car, so she depended on other people for her rides to and from church. 
Just thinking about her brings a smile to my face.
I'm thankful for my rich heritage of Christian friends.


I found Isabel's obituary online. She had her Father's middle name!
She is buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Burnaby BC.
Until we meet again, dear Isabelle.


PS: Out of curiosity, I looked up Isabel's parents death registers and located them at Family Search. Both of them are buried at Surrey Centre Cemetery, and that lovely site has their names and the location of their graves! I wish all cemeteries did this.
James A Gordon died on Sept 15, 1944 age 65. His register lists his parents names; his mother is Elizabeth Angus from Scotland, and his father is John Gordon from Scotland.
Annie E Gordon died on Feb 18, 1964 age 79, but her register lists her parents as unknown.

By Loretta Houben

No comments: