Monday, September 12, 2016

JOHN SCHRINER: first Pastor of Vancouver Apostolic Faith Church, 3014 Kingsway


John Schriner was born on December 14, 1912 in Calgary, Alberta. 
A group of people, including John and his wife Emilie, known as Molly, received copies of the Apostolic Faith paper from Portland OR, and the group decided to move to Vancouver BC in order to begin their own branch of the AF church. I've never heard the details as to how or why John Schriner was chosen as the Pastor. The above photo was taken from a larger one showing members of the choir in 1954. This is the best photo I have of Pastor John. The group had cottage meetings at first in Paul and Elizabeth Plesko's home, before opening a church on Fraser Street in an old house. John was the Pastor from 1945-1977, for 32 years. He was the longest running pastor for this branch.


 Molly Schriner, Pastor John's wife, with glasses.


This is a copy of the 1916 Canadian census showing John age 3, living with his parents John and Elizabeth, who were both from Russia and who arrived in Canada in 1904. It amazes me that everyone seems to have settled on the prairies first, before moving to Vancouver! John's parents are listed as Lutheran on this census.



If you're interested, you can click on the above 1921 Canadian census images, and see John age 8 with his family. His father worked in the CPR shops.


This photo of Molly Schriner is from the 1979 church book.
She was born on August 30, 1914 in Calgary, Alberta, and died on October 13, 1993
Sadly, Pastor John died on August 22, 1977. He was 64. He had MS and I remember how he would listen to the church services from home, by way of a telephone set up on the platform so he could still be a part of it all. I was 17 at the time, and I hoped that the Lord would physically heal him. But although he was often prayed for, and anointed with oil, it wasn't to be. 


Here is the whole photo taken in 1954 showing the choir members.
I have two memories of Pastor John. One was when I was very young, and I used to draw quietly in church. After a service one time I wanted to show my picture to Pastor John, and my Mom said "Oh, don't bother him; he won't be interested in that!"
But he reached out his hand, and said, "Of course I would. Let me see it." And he studied my drawing and said it was very well done. That really pleased me.
Another time he asked for the congregation to pick out hymns to sing one evening at church, and I called out number one, and Pastor John said "Well, she really is, isn't she?" And he smiled. I didn't know what to think! Tee hee....he seemed to be a caring and gentle man, soft spoken and kind. He was the pastor for the longest time of anyone in Vancouver. He will be in Heaven 40 years next year which is hard to believe! I still remember how his voice sounded, and I still remember his smile and the twinkle in his eyes.
John and Molly are both buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Burnaby BC.
One day soon we will meet again on that beautiful shore.
By Loretta Houben

No comments: